Author Topic: Standard Double Ocarina  (Read 16746 times)

Huhnthis

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 3
  • The Dutchman
Re: Standard Double Ocarina
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 05:04:39 PM »
I'm a little bit concerned about my double now.
I already mastered the chamber-isolation technique(focusing breath on separate chambers)
But the higher notes on the lower chamber sound somewhat unclear.  :-\
Now I don't know if this is because I'm still doing something wrong with my breath,
or maybe (and I hope not) that the ocarina is broken or not tuned correctly.  :'(
Because as soon as I play notes that include lifting fingers of my left hand,
the notes become incredibly airy. Anyone else had this or am I just blowing to hard
or too soft.  ???

(side question: That hole on the higher chamber underneath is not mentioned in
the art of ocarina booklet that was included. Am I supposed to keep it uncovered?  :D
*not related to question about airy notes*)
Please, call me Tim ;)

"Aperture science reminds you that the companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
In the event de companion cube does speak, we urge you to disregard its advice."
                                - GLaDOS

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Thanks Recieved: 16
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »
you may be blowing to hard or to soft.Try to find the amount that works the best.I have this ocarina and I have never had a problem with it.

ocarinadiva

• Contractor
  • Thanks Recieved: 104
  • Hi I'm Daisy...er, I mean Cris
    • CrisGale.com
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 11:11:50 PM »
Because as soon as I play notes that include lifting fingers of my left hand,
the notes become incredibly airy. Anyone else had this or am I just blowing to hard
or too soft.  ???

One of the reasons many ocarina musicians prefer to only use single chambered ocarinas is because there is typically a change in tone color when you move from one chamber to the next.  It's most noticeable between the first and second chambers, because the notes are in a pitch range that the ear can more easily detect these subtle differences.  Between the second and third (and fourth) chambers it's less noticeable.

There are a couple things you can do to minimize the change in tone color:

First, make sure the ocarina is completely warmed up.  When you first start playing (especially if the ocarina is cold to the touch) the notes sound a little flat.  As your hands start to warm up the ocarina, and your breath warms the inside of the windway, the ocarina will sound more in tune.  In one of Heather's videos, she recommends using a hair dryer to speed up this process.  I've tried it, and it works great.  In my opinion, a properly tuned ocarina is one that plays in tune after it warms up.

As you mentioned, breath support plays an important role too.  The amount of breath you use not only determines the pitch, it affects the tone color.  If the high notes on the first chamber sound airy, try using more breath, and tighten your lips a little bit so that the airflow is more focused.  The high notes on the first chamber do have more texture than the low notes, but playing this way gives them a much nicer tone that better matches the second chamber.  The second chamber uses lighter breath than the high notes of the first chamber.  This can be very helpful if you are playing a fast song, because you don't expend as much air.  A breath goes much further, so it isn't as difficult to find places to breathe.  

I already mastered the chamber-isolation technique(focusing breath on separate chambers)

That's great!  This is one of the biggest challenges for playing multi-chambered ocarinas.  Sounds like you're making great progress!  Once chamber isolation becomes easy, you can focus on breath control to improve intonation.  If you practice chamber switching by playing C, D, E, F, E, D, C, try to adjust your breath more for C and D, then less on E and F on the second chamber, and hopefully you can minimize the change in the tone color.

I struggled with these things a lot at first, but being able to play so many more songs as a result of having that extended range really helped to motivate me. :)

That hole on the higher chamber underneath is not mentioned in
the art of ocarina booklet that was included. Am I supposed to keep it uncovered?  

Yes, this hole stays uncovered at all times.  On older models, the hole was on the top of the ocarina, but I'm guessing it was moved to the underside of the ocarina so it wouldn't be confused with the finger holes.

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 05:49:45 PM »
I really like the design of the STL triple and double ocarinas you can actually feel the seams/binding areas of the ocarina. They almost act like a bridge or like walking up and down stairs. Its really cool.

MercuryZelda

• Getting Better!
  • Thanks Recieved: 1
  • Music + knitting = life
    • My Twitter page, filled with nonsense.
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 07:27:49 PM »
I just bought this last night & I'm anxiously waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I know the shipping is fast, so that's not an issue--I just can't wait to get my hands on it. ;D I'm so excited to try a double-chambered instrument. I know that the method book will be a big help to me, too.
From STL: Tenor C Zelda Special Edition, Soprano C Zelda Rupee, C Double, Soprano G Necklace, Tenor F Blue & White Porcelain
--
Knitting is like playing music: from a few stitches or notes you will make something beautiful and unique.

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 07:51:53 PM »
Trust me you will be very happy with your new double :)

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
  • Thanks Recieved: 2
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 10:47:04 AM »
Mercury, did you get the 12 hole method or the double method book?
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

MercuryZelda

• Getting Better!
  • Thanks Recieved: 1
  • Music + knitting = life
    • My Twitter page, filled with nonsense.
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 11:45:04 PM »
Both! :D I bought the package deal with the double ocarina so that it came with the double method book, but I also (already) have the 12-hole Zelda special tenor and thought it would be good for me to get the first edition too, because I didn't buy it before. Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time to practice this week (work :( well, have to pay the bills somehow, haha!), but I'm looking forward to getting into it this weekend. I can read music already, so I was looking for a concrete way to remember which ocarina fingering is which note on the music staff. Eventually I'll memorize them all.
From STL: Tenor C Zelda Special Edition, Soprano C Zelda Rupee, C Double, Soprano G Necklace, Tenor F Blue & White Porcelain
--
Knitting is like playing music: from a few stitches or notes you will make something beautiful and unique.

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
  • Thanks Recieved: 2
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 10:20:23 AM »
Oh, so you've really got it covered!  I would suggest doing some of the 12 hole method book on your double too.  The songs are good to learn on the double as well and for the most part, the songs should carry over pretty well.
Once you start memorizing the fingerings, you'll be amazed how quickly it comes!
Scales help too.  The technique pages in method 1 should help with memorizing the fingerings since there's a lot of scales and stuff.
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 12:39:10 PM »

(side question: That hole on the higher chamber underneath is not mentioned in
the art of ocarina booklet that was included. Am I supposed to keep it uncovered?  :D
*not related to question about airy notes*)
You are supposed to keep it uncovered. I believe that it is for airflow.

BurntoutPhilosopher

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 09:16:37 PM »
My double arrived today.
it sounds great, but my low F is flat.   very noticeably against the piano.  all other notes play in good tune.

is this likely a matter of breath control ?   

it's flat enough i was sure something was wrong with the fingering chart but i checked against the one online and i'm playing the right fingering.

... by comparison i was curious if this was just part of the instrument's limitations,  like the middle A on a guitar will never be in full tune.

i bought a plastic tenor, and the ceramic double,  and the plastic one is no where close,  but the double seems all on except this one note.

Jack

• STL Ocarina Addict
  • Thanks Recieved: 9
  • On Sabbatical
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 11:30:23 PM »
That's interesting.  I have the plastic Tenor and my F is fine.  What fingering are you using for F?

Take a look at the tabmaker here:
http://site.stlocarina.com/fc/12holeCMajor.html

and choose the scale composer.  Try to match your fingerings with the corresponding note.  You can also listen to the tone and compare it.

My guess is that it is a matter of fingering or perhaps you haven't quite found the center of the note with your breath.  The breath required for each note takes a little getting used to but with practice it becomes second nature.
It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

ocarinadiva

• Contractor
  • Thanks Recieved: 104
  • Hi I'm Daisy...er, I mean Cris
    • CrisGale.com
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 12:15:14 AM »
In my experience, it usually takes a little bit of time to become familiar with the breath requirements every time I get a new ocarina.  After some practice with it, you should notice some improvement.  If a note sounds a bit flat, just adjust your breath pressure to be a little stronger.  If a note sounds sharp, use a little less breath to get the correct pitch.

BurntoutPhilosopher

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 11:20:45 AM »
actually I'm amazed how much you can flex the notes by breathing harder or more softly, almost a half step.
...i've never played ocarina so i'm figuring it all out as we speak.

for the low F i just have to really give 'er to get the note to be full and clear.

...to the more expirienced people,  how do you control volume without destroying pitch?  like if you wanted to fade a note out

Echoingocarina

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 22
  • ^_^
    • Youtube
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 02:37:58 PM »
This is the double I will likely get, but I have one question...Does it have a neckstrap or hole(s) for one? I think I'd be pretty excited/nervous trying out a double for the first time, I used a neckstrap when I first got my twelve-hole because I was afraid that I might drop it.

I noticed that the max-range double has a neckstrap, so I was wondering if this one did too.
Let the music flow from your soul, so that you may play from your heart.