Author Topic: Purple Clay Soprano C  (Read 7661 times)

Penycat

• In Common Time!
  • Thanks Recieved: 1
Re: Purple Clay Soprano C
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 11:12:51 PM »
Can the purple clay ocarinas be rinsed with water? Also there are two holes on the sides of the fipple...are those for a neck strap or for air flow? So tiny I can't tell.

Zeratul

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 37
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 04:46:07 AM »
Judging from the two ocarinas I have, those two tiny holes are indeed for holding a neckstrap.

I don't know about wether purple clay may be rinsed (with water) or not. The ocarinas I have do have a finish outside, and the manual states that they may be rinsed with, but not submerged into water.
It's probably Ok to take a (not too) wet piece of cloth to carefully remove any dirt on the outside. After all, it get's in contact with your mouth when you play it, so wetness can't be that deadly for it.
But I suggest waiting for someone to reply, who has more knowledge on this issue.

- Zeratul

ocarinadiva

• Contractor
  • Thanks Recieved: 104
  • Hi I'm Daisy...er, I mean Cris
    • CrisGale.com
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 10:05:56 AM »
The two holes are indeed neckstrap holes. 

Wiping down the outside with a soft cloth is fine and a tiny tiny bit of dampness is ok.  Eventually, you will see some discoloration around the finger holes.  This is natural and normal.  The only way for them to go away is to stop playing your ocarina for a long while.

Penycat

• In Common Time!
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 08:21:33 PM »
Thank you! I love the feel of this ocarina in my hands. I don't think I will ever be able to put it down long enough for the moisture discoloration to go away! I have seen some on the lower mouthpiece and it doesn't take away from the beauty of the purple clay at all.

Penycat

• In Common Time!
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 09:47:44 AM »
I have been practicing on my PC ocarina and have come across something. The high C# will not play as shown in the method book no matter how I change my breath pressure. It has to do with the right hand. If I cover the third hole it will not play a clear note no matter what. That is the only note that gives me a problem. I can get a perfect c# if I change the right third hole to the right first hole....perfectly clear c#. I checked it with a tuner on my iPad A-440 frequency. Is this normal to find an ocarina with an issue like this?

Zeratul

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 37
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »
So You're using the "pinky hole" (upmost right one) instead of the "ring finger hole"?
I just tried on my ocarina, they sound nearly identical for me - pinky hole sounds a little bit higher pitched than ring finger hole though. I don't have a tuner to verify which one is more "in tune". However, I've always used my ring finger to play C# and it never sounded odd to me.

Does this only apply to the C# or also to other # notes?
Maybe You need to increase / decrease air pressure...

- Zeratul

Penycat

• In Common Time!
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 10:21:36 AM »
Actually it will will still sound like an airy natural C with ring finger.....like I said no matter how I change the breath pressure. But I get a very good C# with the first right hole, the index finger and all the other fingering shown for the C# minus the right ring finger....need to try the tab generator software to show it sometime. I don't have this problem at all with my blue and white porcelain tenor G although the same fingering is a different note due to key difference.

Penycat

• In Common Time!
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 10:37:06 AM »
I have gone through the scales with sharps/flats and the C# is the only note I have that problem with. But with my alternate fingering it works.

cr0085

• Practice Makes Perfect
  • Thanks Recieved: 2
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 02:11:31 AM »
Got my purple clay soprano last week  :) and to say its amazing would be a huge understatment. This is my sixth purchase from stl and like all my other instruments (enigma sop, echo sop, zelda tenor, plastic sop and nightingale sop) it is made to the highest quality.
It is a bright and cheerful ocarina with a VERY clean clean resonant sound. The tone REALLY projects and sounds clean and sharp at a distance. Not that it is any louder than my other sopranos it just has this amazing quality to sound clear at a distance. I guess this has something to do with the purple clay material it is made from.
The ergonomics are well designed with a slightly angled mouthpiece to relieve strain on the wrists during long practice or performance sessions. It has relatively easy breath requirements throughout the range only requiring a slight increase in breath pressure on the top 3 notes. Both subholes also work perfectly with no problems.
The purple clay has a satin like finish to its surface which prevents it from becoming slippery when my fingers are moist with sweat. It also has a beautiful earthy look to it which i really admire. Over time some darkening of the clay around the mouth piece and finger holes will occur as the clay absorbs the moisture and oils from your skin, however i view this as a bonus not a con. The darkening to me is like my own personal stamp showing my commitment and serves as a reminder of the time I have spent playing this ocarina. These black holes can only be imprinted with playing time and cannot be simulated. This ocarina will grow along with you as a player, both of you improving with time  :).
To conclude on the subject of pricing, the Purple Clay ocarinas are more expensive than the average ocarina. But i am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. This is a performance quality ocarina and it is trully worth every cent i paid for it and more. It is an excellent ocarina and i would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking for a bright cheerful soprano. My only hope is that when i finally pass on into the next life that i can take this little gem of an oc with me