Author Topic: Plastic Triple Ocarina  (Read 15071 times)

keikori

• STL Ocarina Fan
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
Re: Plastic Triple Ocarina
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 11:00:12 AM »
Alright, so I've had my plastic (purple) triple ocarina for awhile now, and I think I'm ready to write some of my thoughts on it. As I heard in the other reviews, the highest D on the lowest chamber is airy (as is the E flat), and I didn't think that would bother me too much...but it does, especially when both of those notes are used so frequenly in the music I play.
It makes me feel negatively towards myself as a player, even though it's probably only partially my fault. I do clean the ocarina out frequently, so that's not the problem. Perhaps it really is me as a player - I'm probably just not experianced enough yet, but anyway.
The notes in the second chamber are crystal clear though and really good quality in my opinion....but that also just singles out that D and E flat more, especially when played close to each other.
I do like the look of it and I overall feel it's a good ocarina based on sound quality (minus the D and E flat) especially because it's plastic, but I also like my single-chambered Infinity more..though, I kind of expected that, considering it was my first ocarina and was a gift rather than something I purchased myself. (It also doesn't have an airy D or E flat)

If anybody has any tips on how to make the notes less airy, I'd greatly appreciate it...for I know it's not only the ocarina's fault.
I'm captain patches! ARG!

Phobos

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 17
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 08:19:52 PM »
Try the acute bend. Tilt your head forward.

keikori

• STL Ocarina Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 11:36:30 AM »
My goodness, I can't believe I didn't try that >.<!! Thank you so much for the tip, I've read it so many times, and yet I didn't put it into practice. It's one of those moments where you bang your palm with your forehead, but now I just sound like a fool. Thanks again  :D
I'm captain patches! ARG!

jasper3542

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 11:07:24 PM »
I was wondering if someone could help me troubleshoot this.

I bought a Plastic Triple from STL, and it arrived about a week ago in the mail.  I was anticipating an airy-ness in the top notes of the first chamber, but I assumed that the ocarina had either been affected by the weather in shipping, or I had to give myself some time to get used to the ocarina.  I am no stranger to wind instruments and have been playing an ocarina for a few years now, so I understand the necessary breath pressure, embouchure, et cetera required to get a good sound out of an ocarina.  I recognize the difference between ceramic and plastic, and I am realistic with my expectations as to the quality of a plastic instrument.

However, I am at a point where I'm now having a hard time believing that I'm the problem in this equation.  My ocarina continues to be extremely airy, more so than normal and more so than I've observed in videos where other ocarinists are playing the Plastic Triple in that part of the lowest chamber's range.  I have maintained good playing posture, made sure my airflow is not hitting the mouthpiece at an angle, and I have incorporated the acute bend.  None of these things has changed the quality of the upper register on that chamber.  All the other notes are fine, but high D on that chamber is only playing at half its volume, and the other half of the sound is all wind.  The notes a step or two lower than that note are passable, but still largely airy as well.  I've cleaned the windway of moisture.  I've blown louder, thinking that because this instrument is a rising breath ocarina, it must be necessary to blow harder into the top note to keep it from going flat or sounding like static.  Having taken all these things into account, nothing has worked.  I'm at a loss.  Can you help me?  Based on the description of my problem, does it sound like there's a problem with the ocarina itself?  I did notice a bit of damage to the ocarina straight out of the box, a place where it had apparently been dropped and the paint had chipped and cracked just slightly.  Not thinking such a small ding could effect the quality of the instrument's sound, I chose not to bring it up or request an exchange.  However, I'm pretty frustrated with the fact that this problem won't go away no matter what techniques I incorporate trying to get rid of the bad tone.  I've heard so many other people say how wonderful the tone is, and I want to believe them -- but the airy quality of those few notes are so bad that I can't help but think they're not being truthful or our definitions of "wonderful tone" differ somehow.

Please tell me if you can think of any remedy to this problem I haven't tried.  I desperately want to love this ocarina, because I want it to be a travel instrument I can take with me on the road and overseas.  But I don't want to be constantly dreading hitting a particular note on the ocarina, knowing it's always going to be airy and flat.  Please help!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may give.

carboncopymusic

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 132
  • I love lamp.
    • Youtube
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 03:03:21 AM »
If a note is flat and airy, then you aren't providing sufficient breath to reach to correct pitch.  If the note is sharp, then you are providing too much breath.  The first thing you need to figure out with an instrument is how it sounds when it is in tune.  You need to start practicing with a tuner to at least train your ear to know what sound should be occurring when you play a specific note.  I do not know if you failed to mention this troubleshooting step, but with any instrument, it is precisely where you want to start.  If you start by playing in tune, you can adjust techniques while operating within the constraints of good playing.

Also, because you are mentioning damage, please describe what damage there is.  If there is any damage to the mouthpiece, the windway, or the fipple, then it is very possible that the bad sound is coming as a result of the damage.  As with anything, if you buy something and it arrives damaged, always return it.  STL has a return policy for goods that arrived damaged and so do most other online retailers.  Keep in mind that promptness is very important.  Insurance claims with parcel carriers require immediate notification so online retailers are bound by the limitations of these agreements.

It really sucks that you're having trouble.  I'm not a great player, but I've spent a good bit of time with the plastic triple.  My biggest problems were "wetmouth" and bad intonation.  After addressing both of these things, I started getting a much better sound.  That being said, it isn't perfect and the transition between chambers is audible.  For less than $100, I think it is a great value, but it doesn't compare to the other triples STL sells.  It's a "beater" ocarina.  One that can get the job done and won't get smashed into a 1000 pieces if you drop it.  

beginnersmind

• STL Ocarina Noob
Plastic Triple Ocarina side by side comparison with clay?
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 08:27:22 AM »
I would love to hear a side by side comparison with the clay version. Is there such a video out there? I am very tempted by this ocarina but if it varies enough from a clay instrument I would rather save the money toward a clay ocarina.

Echoingocarina

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 22
  • ^_^
    • Youtube
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 08:32:06 AM »
I would love to hear a side by side comparison with the clay version. Is there such a video out there? I am very tempted by this ocarina but if it varies enough from a clay instrument I would rather save the money toward a clay ocarina.

Here's a video I found. http://youtu.be/b8svRRKA5m4
Let the music flow from your soul, so that you may play from your heart.

SouthPaw

• Getting Better!
  • Thanks Recieved: 1
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 02:04:13 PM »
What would we do without Desmond? Video basically shows that you get what you pay for. The ceramic one is noticeably better, but as someone else said, the plastic one is passable. Man those high notes sure can be ear piercing. I think I want the double max one.

beginnersmind

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 06:05:28 PM »
I just got a plastic triple as well.It is my second sweet potato style ocarina. It is quite interesting to see the difference between this and my first real ocarina (an Oot by  a different brand) When they say every ocarina will play differently they are absolutely right. On my first blow with this ocarina I thought for sure it was defective. After a few hours of intermittent noodling I see it is a lovely instrument! The lowest notes are nice and full and the top notes are crisp and clear. It does require more breath than my  a different brand, particularly the highest note of each chamber. It is a much more comfortable instrument to hold. Now I am totally lusting after the purple clay triple bass. I LOVE the range of notes! Now I can play any recorder music and most flute and oboe music too! Who knew an ocarina could be a real instrument!

Post Merge: August 22, 2011, 06:25:39 PM
I am curious, what are the extra holes on the bottom and side for?

TheZelda

• Thanks Recieved: 93
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 06:24:15 AM »
This is going to be my next ocarina. ;)

carboncopymusic

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • I love lamp.
    • Youtube
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 12:33:29 PM »

I am curious, what are the extra holes on the bottom and side for?

Tuning.

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Thanks Recieved: 16
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »
This is going to be my next ocarina. ;)
You won't be disappointed. :)

Emily34285

• STL Ocarina Addict
  • Thanks Recieved: 43
  • I dream of playing ocarina professionally.
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 09:25:25 AM »
My bf bought this one for me...very happy with it. My first multichambered ocarina! :)
I <3 ocarina and sewing.
Music gives my days light and my heart, peace.
Ocarinas purchased from STL:
Nightingale Soprano C
Plastic Triple
Two Ocarina Necklaces
Plastic Zelda Tenor C
Inline Tenor C
Purple Clay Mini

thatdarnkt

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 1
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »
Bumping this up for some additional troubleshooting.

Just got my plastic triple in the mail today.  Everything is as it should be but at some point the second chamber starts sounding this piercing overtone higher than the range of this instrument every time I play the open-holed C.

It wasn't this way the very first time I play it and sometimes I can hold the note and suddenly it snaps into the overtone without change of breath.  The B is also affected but lower than that there is no problem.

Is this a condensation thing?

carboncopymusic

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • I love lamp.
    • Youtube
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 04:30:38 PM »

Is this a condensation thing?

It definitely sounds like a condensation thing, though I wouldn't expect it to be so sudden and drastic.