Author Topic: 10 Hole Deep Sound  (Read 4114 times)

Stl. Ocarina

• Administrator
  • Thanks Recieved: 8
    • STL Ocarina
10 Hole Deep Sound
« on: August 08, 2009, 07:34:54 PM »
10 Hole Deep Sound

Diameter: 3.5 inches / 8.9 cm long

Pitch: A4 to F6 including sharps and flats

Sound Sample

Extra Features:
-Free instructional booklet
-Adjustable Neck strap

PURCHASE LINK

***This ocarina is no longer available***

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Thanks Recieved: 16
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
Re: 10 Hole Deep Sound
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:55:11 PM »
I love the look of this ocarina!i notice the fingering is pretty different is it easy to play? -Desmond

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
  • Thanks Recieved: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 10:05:01 AM »
It's not too bad.  It takes some practice to memorize though.  I actually started out on this fingering system, called the "English" system since it was developed by an English chap in the 60s.

I tend to think of the fingering in a sort of circular pattern and that seems to help me.  In the method book Dennis and I wrote for this type of ocarina we put in a couple of different ways to memorize the fingerings though: use of shapes and colors as visual memory aids.  I think for kids in particular, these work well.  We haven't tried them out on adults as much though.  I would guess that it would work equally well for adults.
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

Mr. Walden

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 4
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 02:44:54 PM »
The range appears to be identical with the "tenor 12-hole" ocarinas. Is this entirely by fingering, or does it require some underblowing to achieve the full range? I've played one from another maker that was a similar fingering system, but with two subholes, and only 9 total holes.

This model looks interesting, and the price is nice.

Bateleur5

• Ocarina Player
  • Thanks Recieved: 13
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:16:54 PM »
I like the logic be the fingerings on this ocarina. It is a six-hole pendant..... but then the ring fingers are also utilized, with a full-sized hole and two sub-holes, and then it can reach the full range of a 12-hole sweet potato. Am I guessing correctly?

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
  • Thanks Recieved: 2
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 09:52:29 AM »
oh, I thought my post in this section was for a 6 hole ocarina.  Oops, I got it in the wrong section!  This ocarina definately does NOT use the English system!!

Dennis started on this type of fingering system and didn't find it too challenging.  The range is pretty easy to get without much or any change in airflow if I am remembering correctly.

I'll have to double check the logic of the fingering.  It's been a while since I played this on an ocarina of this fingering system.
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Thanks Recieved: 16
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 03:17:53 PM »
A4 to F6 and deep sound?I just listened to the sound sample!It sounds very nice!

Phobos

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 17
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 02:10:55 PM »
Beautiful sound.