Author Topic: Some Questions from an Ocarina Noob  (Read 263 times)

Luci

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
Some Questions from an Ocarina Noob
« on: September 22, 2017, 03:36:24 PM »
Alrighty, so I am new to the ocarina world; My 19th birthday is tomorrow, and I was gifted two Ocarinas; the dark link Hylian shield 6 hole (item code:shield1), and the OOT 12 hole replica (item code:ztenor3dis) and I have a few questions regarding them.

1.) Can you clean the inside of them? I'm worried about bacteria and spit build up, and at some point if I get sick, I don't want my ocarinas to continuously get me sick. It's kind of like licking a doorknob that someone just touched when they previously sneezed into their hand, to me. Also, if a small child wants to play with my ocarinas or my musical friends would like to borrow one, I'd want to make sure it was thoroughly cleaned for them, since it's not as easy as just changing a reed.

2.) Has anyone had trouble with the ergonomics of the OOT 12 hole replica? I find that my wrists end up hurting after trying to play it for a while. It could be the fact that I have tiny hands and I've played piano for most of my life, not ocarinas; but I also find when trying to hit low B and low A, my fingers fall out of place and I have trouble keeping them in place in general? Could it be the curvature? Should I look into other ocarinas that are flatter before trying to play something "curvier"?

3.) Kind of gross question, but is there a way of decreasing the amount of saliva you blow into the instrument? I find that I'm either drowning in saliva if I'm holding the ocarina horizontal to my face, or I'm blowing some amount of saliva into my ocarina if it's vertical. Do I just live with the icky wetness, or is there some preventative measure I can take?

4.) Best place to store these things? I've got a wooden chest for my 12 hole ocarina, but my 6 hole is left homeless. Should I hang my 6 hole on the wall for decoration, or would it be too heavy to be supported by a simple thumb tack? Should I modify one of the shipping boxes I receive to have some cushion in it so it doesn't end up scratching or banging around in the box, as opposed to making a simple felt pouch for it to slip into?

Additionally, are there any tips, tricks, or other bits of information that you didn't initially know about when you got an ocarina, and would like to pass down to me? I'll take all the information I can get!

Pickle

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 193
Re: Some Questions from an Ocarina Noob
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 08:00:13 PM »
1. As far as I know for cleaning ceramic ocarinas you just wipe the outside, around the finger holes, and the mouthpiece. You can use a cloth moistened with mild cleanser on the mouthpiece, but not a wet cloth. You don't want any moisture inside the ocarina because this can cause mold to grow.

2. Hand size can impact how comfortable it is to use the ocarina. If it is a difficult stretch to cover the holes, the ocarina could be too large for you. If the problem is that your fingers slide off the holes sideways, it could have more to do with how you hold the ocarina. Your hands should be relaxed, and the holes should be covered with the pads of your fingers, not the tips. Tension can also cause pain, so keep your wrists as well as your fingers relaxed.
I've only tried one flat ocarina, and I found it harder to use compared to the rounder ones I own. I don't know if that's a personal preference or an ergonomic issue.

3. Some people find using mouth wash before playing reduces saliva.
Some possibilities that could cause drooling are the position of your tongue and the angle you hold your ocarina. When stopping notes your tongue should touch the roof of your mouth be the front teeth, not on the ocarina mouth piece itself.
Try holding your ocarina downward but not vertical. Experiment with a small upward angle. The angle you hold your ocarina may also influence how comfortable it is to play.
I can't promise these methods will work; maybe you are already doing these things. It's just some thoughts.

4. My ocarinas are all over my room. Some are in boxes, some in soft cases, some are hanging up on the wall. I use a nail in my wall, a thumb tack doesn't sound strong enough to me. Padding never hurts ocarinas, but it isn't really needed if they aren't likely to be jostled.

BigC

• Ocarina Performer
  • Thanks Recieved: 7
  • STL Ocarina #1 MEGAFAN!
    • The STL Ocarina SuperFan Group - An Unofficial STL Fan Group
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:46:39 AM »
It's always good to have ocarina cases and pouches, especially with ceramics plus wearing a neckstrap as well when you're playing.  I always hang my ocarinas by their neckstrap next to my bedside when i want to play them.
STL Ocarinas I own:
12 Hole Plastic 1.0 Ocarina
12 Hole Plastic 2.0 Ocarina
12 Hole Ceramic Ocarina
And 6 Hole Ceramic Ocarina!

Bothinut

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 10:31:11 PM »
Thank you for the questions and answers. I hope someone else will answer. I want to hear a lot of comments.