Author Topic: About the Sheets/Tabs/Backtracks Areas  (Read 8429 times)

Stl. Ocarina

• Administrator
  • Thanks Recieved: 8
    • STL Ocarina
About the Sheets/Tabs/Backtracks Areas
« on: July 02, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »
This is where you share sheet music and backtracks with fellow members.  

If you have a request : post it in the requests forum.  After your request is completed - the thread will be locked.

If you want to talk about the technical side of making a backtrack - be sure to visit the Recording/home Studio section.

You can also use our fingering composer to make tabs from notes, number notation, or even from piano keys.

Nightmoon

• Practice Makes Perfect
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
Re: About the Sheets/Tabs/Backtracks Areas
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:44:25 AM »
Question regarding Sheets and Tabs:

For music originally written by still-living composers, where is the line between "ok" and "copyright infringement"?

Jack

• STL Ocarina Addict
  • Thanks Recieved: 9
  • On Sabbatical
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 12:09:15 PM »
Question regarding Sheets and Tabs:

For music originally written by still-living composers, where is the line between "ok" and "copyright infringement"?

That's a good question but I don't know the answer.  For our purposes we leave it to our host's interpretation of the DMCA. Any take down notice we receive is met with immediate compliance.  It's rather difficult to draw a line because there isn't a clear line.

It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Heather

• Staff
  • Thanks Recieved: 5
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:23:23 AM »
If you are not profiting from the performance than you are not infringing on copyright. 

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
  • Thanks Recieved: 2
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:27:20 PM »
If you sell the actual music, that's not ok, but tabs or numeral system should always be ok whether sold or for free online, as long as you don't profit from the performance (like making a CD) as Heather mentioned.
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

tussengas

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 25
  • Ain't Going down till the sun comes up!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 06:17:41 PM »
Not that I would bother myself tomuch about it but...
Since this forum is connected with the webshop of STLOcarina, people could claim that you are using their songs to keep costumers connected to STLOcarina, and in that way, having profits by using their music.

Jack

• STL Ocarina Addict
  • Thanks Recieved: 9
  • On Sabbatical
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »
I'm not sure but I highly doubt it.  The forum doesn't actually host any sheet music, files, or tabs.  What you see here are actually just links to other pages.  STL is just providing an environment for their customers to learn and share with each other. 

Good point though :)
It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

ShadowSeera

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
    • my deviantart page
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 02:54:12 PM »
I have a comment about STL's music books. I just bought a maxrange double and a few music books but I'm quite sure that the number notation is wrong, and it's in all of the books. It says that the 5[with the dot underneath] is a G but then the next sample that it gives you [Oh Christmas Tree] starts on a D and there is that 5 with the dot.
However, if I hadn't looked at the correlation of numbers and letter notes, I would have played a D anyway, but just something to look into and change if it's wrong in the other music books before handing them out to other players, especially if they are beginners and cannot read sheet music.

8bitlink

• STL Ocarina Addict
  • Thanks Recieved: 85
  • Okarina wa daisuki.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 08:45:07 PM »
The numbers aren't wrong, they're just in scale tones, which is mentioned in each book only once. This means that the 1 represents the tonic note, and the numbers after it are the successive notes in the scale. The 1 can be whatever you want it to be, then you just make the numbers the same for that scale. so if 1=C then 2=D 3=E 4=F etc. etc. If you chose to make 1=F as STL usually does, then 2=G 3=A 4=Bb, 5=C, etc. etc. The numbered notation allows you to be able to play in any key so long as you can tell your mind that all the 1's now are this note, etc. etc.

They list C as an example, but they usually write in F. I agree that they should change the example, or at least mention the fact that the numbers represent scale tones more than once.
Go ahead and play your music. You never know, you just might make someones day.
And now for something completely off base, Kirby Dance!
<(-_-<) (^-_-^) (v-_-v) (>-_-)>