Author Topic: Two Octave Single Chamber Soprano  (Read 11081 times)

Stl. Ocarina

• Administrator
  • Thanks Recieved: 8
    • STL Ocarina
Two Octave Single Chamber Soprano
« on: August 14, 2009, 04:51:49 PM »
New Soprano Ocarina in C Major with Two Octaves Range

This ocarina is about 5.5 inches long. It is a soprano ocarina tuned in C Major with a range of G5 to G7. With the two extra notes now available, the number of songs you can play is greatly increased, but unlike the multi-chamber ocarinas, you no longer have to switch air holes to get a large range of notes. Now it is easier than ever to play two octaves!

This ocarina is completely hand crafted with the maker's signature at the back. It is made of the finest quality clay. Because this kind of ocarina is extremely difficult and time consuming to make, there are only a limited number available.

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Thanks Recieved: 16
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
Re: Two Octave Single Chamber Soprano
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »
I noticed that the mouth piece is a different color than the rest of the ocarinas,why is this? -Desmond

ocarinadiva

• Contractor
  • Thanks Recieved: 104
  • Hi I'm Daisy...er, I mean Cris
    • CrisGale.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
I noticed that the mouth piece is a different color than the rest of the ocarinas,why is this? -Desmond

I have this ocarina and the mouthpiece being glazed is just a nice finishing touch really.  It's what the ocarina can do that makes it special.   

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 09:54:49 PM »
I have this ocarina and the mouthpiece being glazed is just a nice finishing touch really.  It's what the ocarina can do that makes it special.   
Oh well thanks for telling me!I dont know much about this ocarina,So im hoping to see more of it soon! -Desmond

kumpy

• Ocarina Player
  • Thanks Recieved: 2
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 12:01:33 AM »
I'm a little confused about it, can someone tell more more about how it gets 2 octaves?  It has and additional sub-hole from the photo.  So how many more notes do I get as opposed to a normal 12?  I get one extra note that would make 2 complete octaves right??

subakuryu

• Getting Better!
  • Thanks Recieved: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 07:37:24 AM »
I'm a little confused about it, can someone tell more more about how it gets 2 octaves?  It has and additional sub-hole from the photo.  So how many more notes do I get as opposed to a normal 12?  I get one extra note that would make 2 complete octaves right??
NOt only that. I think you have to begin using ovrtones. Sorta like how on a tin whistle or recorder you blow a little harder to reach the second octave. I believe this ocarina uses somewhat of the same method except just with three overtone notes. 1 scale/octave = 8 notes. 2 octaves = 15(?) notes. so you jsut need to overblow in order to get 2 certain notes. and thus get your two octave range. 3 subs and to overtones.

ocarinadiva

• Contractor
    • CrisGale.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 12:38:50 AM »
The three subholes allow you to go three full notes below tonic to G - on a normal ocarina you only get from A to F.  The high G uses a special fingering and a firm breath.  The interesting thing is that while this can be done on some other soprano ocarinas - the real advantage is that you don't have any timbre change.  On my other ocarinas you have to blow much harder and the note is really weak. The high G on this ocarina is a not much louder but is as pure as the rest of the ocarinas range.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll record a video with it.

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 04:25:21 PM »
Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll record a video with it.

Im looking forward to it! :D -Desmond

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 10:11:32 AM »
ocarinadiva, do you find that it is hard to get used to the fingering?  I haven't started learning this particular ocarina yet, but since I really do prefer single chamber instruments I'd love to learn it.
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

ocarinadiva

• Contractor
    • CrisGale.com
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »
I was a little tricky at first, but then I modified the way I hold the ocarina for high G and it became much easier.  Luckily, the fingering for high G is not awkward, so I can keep a good grip during the transition.  :)

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 04:23:54 PM »
I was a little tricky at first, but then I modified the way I hold the ocarina for high G and it became much easier.  Luckily, the fingering for high G is not awkward, so I can keep a good grip during the transition.  :)
Nice I have heard many good things about this ocarina! -Desmond

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 01:24:30 PM »

Would you mind elaborating on how your modified your hold on the ocarina?  Is it something you are able to explain in words, or is it better just to see what you do?
I really should try one myself.  Maybe I'll be able to figure out something that could work for me.
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 06:40:17 PM »
Hmm...does it come with a neckstrap?

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 11:52:31 PM »
I'm not sure.  I'll have to go look at it to remember!
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

ocarinadiva

• Contractor
    • CrisGale.com
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 12:20:47 AM »
Would you mind elaborating on how your modified your hold on the ocarina?  Is it something you are able to explain in words, or is it better just to see what you do?

Sorry it took so long for me to reply.  I will try to make a video at some point to demonstrate my technique for playing the high notes on this ocarina.  

In the meantime, I'll try to explain a little better:

I try to anticipate high notes as I'm playing, so I'm constantly making adjustments to my hand position as I play.  

Going up the scale, I usually move my right pinky to stabilize the long end of the ocarina by the time I reach middle G.  By the time I reach high C, I move my left index finger just to the right of the mouthpiece to stabilize the ocarina even more.  With these two fingers in place, I can keep a better grip on the ocarina while playing high D-F.  For D, I just lift my left thumb.  For E and F, I rotate the ocarina forward and roll the right thumb and left pinky off of the holes, and for high G I rotate the ocarina back towards me to cover the holes for the highest note.