Author Topic: Chen Ching  (Read 12200 times)

Stl. Ocarina

• Administrator
  • Thanks Recieved: 8
    • STL Ocarina
Chen Ching
« on: August 13, 2009, 05:04:20 PM »

Chen Ching Ocarinas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5aO7BI9FE

Chen Ching has been a pottery artist since he was a young teenager in Taiwan. He has exhibited his works in numerous cities around Asia including Tokyo, Bejing and Soeul. His works have won top prizes in many competitions.

Although he is influenced by the traditional shapes found in Chinese art throughout history, he sees himself as an innovator. Using these traditional shapes as a springboard for artistic expression, Chen Ching creates a fresh look by exaggerating particular aspects of the basic shape. In addition to his work with shapes, he is very interested in color. While many ocarina artists focus on either shape or color, Chen Ching believes that the pottery should be a unified piece of art in which the shape and color are carefully planned. When making the surfaces of his ocarinas, he tries to find a balance between breaking barriers and remaining practical. Through his use of glazes and textures, he creates a natural flow of color. Some of his favorite materials to add to his glazes are sea shells, real gold, and real silver, giving the surface an incandescent yet organic quality.

To review the available designs and colors please visit:
http://site.stlocarina.com/ccocarinas/indexGallery.htm

Bateleur5

• Ocarina Player
  • Thanks Recieved: 13
Re: Chen Ching
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 10:21:58 PM »
There is a triple ocarina labelled as a Chen Ching ocarina in the "Double and Triple" section on the STL shop site. LINK
But this isn't an ocarina made by Chen Ching, is it? I'm fairly certain that Chen Ching only decorated the ocarina, since this ocarina looks very much like a design from a very prestigious Japanese ocarina maker.

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
  • Thanks Recieved: 2
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 09:59:51 AM »
I'm sorry I missed this thread.

Actually he did make it from scratch.  The layering of the chambers is a commonly used technique though.  Our purple clay doubles also have it too.  I'd be curious to know the history of how the technique came to be and how it got into common usage though.  I wonder what its purpose is.

From what I've seen, Chen Ching will often practice his finishes on the ocarinas of others, but those he does not send us since they are just for practice.  He just provides us with the ones he made himself.
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

Dennis

• Administrator
  • Thanks Recieved: 15
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:47:09 PM »
I spent about 8 hours with Chen Ching not that long ago, visiting his art studio and we had long discussions on topics like his creative process and philosophy, as well as his techniques on ocarina making.

Chen Ching really is the artist type. He couldn?t care less about the business part. He only wishes to focus on creating new works. I envy him (and admire him at the same time). There was a time when all I cared about was how to be a better musician. But now my violin is covered with dust. The difference between me and Chen Ching is that I do not have his kind of tenacity. I let things like mortgage get to me.

I had a chance to watch him while he showed me how he made and decorated some of his ocarinas. The process was painstaking. I asked where his inspirations were from, he answered ?from lots and lots of actual ocarina making?. He practices his surface treatment on many readymade ocarinas. He doesn?t want us to have those ocarinas because (he believes) they are not his original works.

I know that he doesn?t have any student at the moment. And I know there are not that many artists left who know how to apply the same technique that Chen Ching uses on the surface of his works. I can?t afford to buy all of his ocarinas at once. But I?ll definitely be a collecting his ocarinas every chance I get, not just for how they look, but for how great they sound.    

kumpy

• Ocarina Player
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 10:29:59 AM »
Thanks for the quick background about Chen Ching.  As in all forms of art collecting, it is extremely important to know about the artist, who they are, & their philosophy on life.  I'm intrigued to know more!

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Thanks Recieved: 16
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 05:07:50 PM »
Just looking at the Chen Ching triple amazes me.It is very compact and produces wonderful sound!

Dennis

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 06:21:45 PM »
Earlier today, we received an ocarina made by Chen Ching. This ocarina was specially made for Mr. A, who had been a long time customer. He ordered this ocarina about 6 weeks ago.

I am not in the habit of bothering customers by sending personal emails. But I couldn't resist this time. This ocarina is just too unique. After getting Mr. A's kind permission, I like to post a few photos of this ocarina.

This is probably the last time that I'll see this ocarina. But I know it has a sister. I can't wait to see the sister ocarina is like.

Dennis

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 06:27:32 PM »

Dennis

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 06:27:50 PM »

Mr. Walden

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 4
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 11:35:51 PM »
It's quite lovely in its hornlike natural look.

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 09:16:32 AM »
beautiful!
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »
Oh wow!Amazing!At first I thought it was an inline in the first picture but the mouth piece and design are amazing!

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 04:50:38 PM »
Dennis you say there is a sister ocarina to this one?I think I may have found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L75O2q_MzMA&feature=sub
I belive that Chen Ching has a youtube account and post videos quite frequently.I think the one he is playing here is the chili pepper shaped one like this one:I really enjoy the videos on his channel.Its nice to keep up with him. -Desmond

Jack

• STL Ocarina Addict
  • Thanks Recieved: 9
  • On Sabbatical
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 12:08:40 PM »
STL has released a bunch of Chen Ching ocarinas.

http://stlocarina.com/choose-your-ocarina-for-collectors.html

I really like this one

http://stlocarina.com/10277.html
It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Phobos

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 17
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »
I would love to get a Chen Ching Ocarina but I don't have the financial resources :(
They are amazing works of art.