Author Topic: How to convert Tabs from Smule (Ocarina Applet for I-Phone)  (Read 7439 times)

tussengas

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 25
  • Ain't Going down till the sun comes up!
The tabs on the website of Smule are quite complicated. They are made for Ocarina's at Iphone's and not for regular Ocarina's.
The Iphone can be configurated to any range and staff as needed, which means that every tab is for a particular staff/range only.
They gave the several Staffs quite remarkable names:

Ionian
Dorian
Phrygian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian
Locrian
Zeldarian

A tab from that site should say something like:
All I Ask of You
C 8va Zeldarian
If you want to know which tab converts to which note for this song, you have to look to the Zeldarian Fingering Chart (for other charts, click the above links)
and look to the "Root Pitch C". And, because it says "8va" you have to raise it by an entire octave.
If the notes from the Smule-tabs are out of range for your ocarina, you can try to ignore the "C 8va" and chose another Root Pitch (This should work, but not sure).

you basicly can take any pitch you like as long as you have the right chart. But sometimes a song will a lower/higher pitch sound better.

From these notes you should be able to use the FInger COmposer to create your new tabs.

Let me know if there are any questions/remarks. :)

tussengas

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 25
  • Ain't Going down till the sun comes up!
Re: How to convert Tabs from Smule (Ocarina Applet for I-Phone)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 06:19:22 PM »
Hmm... After taking a closer look to the charts, I don't see any logic in some of them at all :p (in example: they go from a to d- in 1 step in Zeldarian)
Some of them are really different compared to regular staffs.
Anyway, They still work like staffs, so you can lower every note by 0.5 or 1.0 and it will still sound okay.
If discovered that for all but Zeldarian, the F pitch fits best to a 12h ocarina. Only the Zeldarian requires an D pitch.

I am making converting some tabs but I want to test first tomorrow (after midnight now so people are sleeping) them before I post them. I want to be really sure that my theory works ;)

Jack

• STL Ocarina Addict
  • Thanks Recieved: 9
  • On Sabbatical
Re: How to convert Tabs from Smule (Ocarina Applet for I-Phone)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 07:03:01 PM »
Awesome.  I'm looking forward to see if it works!
It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.