Author Topic: Repairing Broken Ocarina!!!??  (Read 7856 times)

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
  • Thanks Recieved: 2
Re: Repairing Broken Ocarina!!!??
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »
Generally, if the break is beyond your ability to repair yourself, then the ocarina is unfortunately not fixable.  We don't do repairs as we do not have training in repairs.  I would just be really careful with your ocarina!  Be careful not to break it beyond repair.  Musical instruments are quite fragile things.

It's a good idea to have a good sturdy carrying case with foam inserts.  I bought a gun case online for my ocarinas and that keeps them well protected.  I also make sure that I practice on a carpeted surface and that there is nothing metal or harsh around on which I could drop my ocarina.  Also, anytime you are not playing the ocarina, be sure to put it away.  Most breaks happen because the ocarina was left out on a table or something and it gets knocked down.
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

kumpy

• Ocarina Player
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 01:00:23 PM »
Currently my setup is a square-shaped "case logic" case made for portable CD/DVD players.  Then I took an insert from another ocarina case which is the same shape, & inserted into the "case logic."  The case also has an additional slot for my cell phone & wallet.  Essentially it is my new, male handbag!  I bring it everywhere with me. 

I realize that ocarinas... especially good ones (not always the case) are delicate, fragile, and breakable.  I have accepted those risks & still continue to bring my ocarina eveywhere with me.   I will not compromise my lifestyle because of an ocarina's delicate nature.  I consider ocarinas a tool in which I use to explore music and I will not, not bring them because I'm afraid of breaking them.  The only ocarinas I will not carry around regularly is possibly the Chen Ching Triple!  Wow!... is that an absolutely beautiful ocarina!   

I see my ocarinas similar to cars for their functionality.  I have my reliable, "daily driver": Saturn Vue, which has very high mileage for its short years.  I would consider the Chen Ching like the Lamborgini of ocarinas!  Definately not your "daily driver."  Fortunately, and unfortunately for me.... I don't have a Chen Ching triple or a Lamborgini.  I actually do have a poster of a Lamborgini, and I have a picture of the Chen Ching triple... burned into my mind!!

I do take an ocarina's fragility factor into consideration when choosing which to bring with me each day.  I am especially hesitant to bring around ones with sharp corners or pointy ends.  Yet strange enough with that said... I still bring them.  I trust in the case I carry them in & I handle them appropriately. 

Funny thing is that when I am actually at home, I only leave one ocarina out at any given moment, which is the same ocarina I carry with me in my "man-pouch."  Otherwise, I keep all my other ocarinas locked up in my safe, in my climate-controlled, low humidity basement. 

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 10:00:55 AM »
Yeah, ocarinas are definately meant to be used.  It sounds like  you have a good set up though Kumpy.  THe key is to have a good protective case.
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

kumpy

• Ocarina Player
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 10:50:29 AM »
So far I have a pretty good setup... but I learned the hard way.  Right now my next purchase will be one of those neoprene cases for my macbook.  I can't see to find anyone with good enough protection.  I guess there is only so much you can protect it.  If you drop it, no matter what case you got in it, its gonna be a bad scene.  Having a good protective case is 1/2 the battle, actually caring for it is the other 1/2.  There is a balance between convenience & safety.  Convenience is carrying the ocarina in your pocket without any protection, but you'd be able to whip it out at your heart's desire & play a tune in no time.  The safety side of it is having a bullet proof case that is large, heavy, hard to carry, hard to open.  The ultimate safety being to leave it home.

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 09:59:54 AM »
That's why I like to have plastic ones too.  Those are the ones I use for convenience and can just slip into a bag or pocket.  The breakable ones are kept in the case at all times unless I'm playing them.
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Thanks Recieved: 15
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 02:19:50 PM »
Have and of you heard of making your own protective case?Here are some tips on making your own if you cant buy one.Use the cardboard box or some type of box around your house that would make a decent sized case for your ocarina.Find some foam(Preferably memory foam)Get a sheet of paper trace/outline a picture of your ocarina with a pencil on the paper.Get a sharp knife and cut along the lines of the paper into your foam.And there you go!A case that is fitted for your ocarina!This is always good for people who have just bought their ocarina and are concerned about "Ocarina protection".

Nightmoon

• Practice Makes Perfect
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 12:21:44 PM »
Another possibility (I haven't actually tried it.... I'm not confident enough in my own non-clumsiness to buy anything that might break) might be one of those foam cases designed for tabletop miniatures games. Many of them are designed with uncut insert trays, with the intention that the user can remove sections of the foam to fit minis of different sizes. The interior is usually some variant of foam or foam rubber, and they're designed to prevent paint and other chipping for metal miniatures. You can probably find 'em at your local hobby or gaming store, or at most tabletop gaming-oriented online stores.

Huhnthis

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 3
  • The Dutchman
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 06:56:07 AM »
My friend broke his (normal) soprano from stl. (the brown-yellow gradient one) today.
It's broken just along the tip on the far right pinky-hole.
There's also some chips/dust of it. Could it be glued repaired? ???
He left it in his jacket which fell of the hanger in school.  :-\
So somebody stepped on it.
I think he's quite lucky it's just the tip that broke of.
Please, call me Tim ;)

"Aperture science reminds you that the companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
In the event de companion cube does speak, we urge you to disregard its advice."
                                - GLaDOS

Mr. Walden

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 4
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 03:38:19 PM »
It's the same as repairing any ceramic item. If the pieces are all there you ought to be able to glue them back. If all the damage was external it is probably just fine, playability-wise.

ocarinadiva

• Contractor
  • Thanks Recieved: 102
  • Hi I'm Daisy...er, I mean Cris
    • CrisGale.com
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 12:15:21 AM »
I was able to repair a clay ocarina that broke many years ago.  Like Walden said, if you have all the pieces and you can glue them back together, you may be able to still get a good sound out of it.  Unless the mouthpiece or fipple is damaged, you can probably repair it.

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 11:01:49 AM »
It depends on the extent of the damage too.  I damaged the mouthpiece on my purple clay.  A small piece of it chipped off when I dropped it on the foot of my metal music stand.  It still plays quite well though, so I didn't bother trying to glue the little sliver back on.  Does it still sound ok with the break around the pinky hole?  If so, then you might just do some cosmetic touching up (paint?) so it looks better.
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

namikaze

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 06:53:10 PM »
I completely empathize - I have a similar problem and I'd appreciate any suggestions.  I bought the 12-hole aria and I absolutely adore - but one day the neck chord got snagged on something when I went to pick my ocarina up and it was ripped from my hand and broke in two.  I taped it back together with clear packing tape and it works (I couldn't find all the ceramic pieces that chipped off) and it's still in tune.  The trouble is, it gets a bit airy, it's harder to play, I can tell the difference in vibration, and sooner or later that tape is gonna dry up.  I can replace it but it still doesn't look as nice as it used to.  Does anyone know a better way of repairing it without losing its tuning?  I was considering ceramic glue but I'm concerned it might warp the sound.  It split around the lower C or D note. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

carboncopymusic

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 128
  • I love lamp.
    • Youtube
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »
I think regular old glue will work fine. I've repaired an ocarina with superglue.  The thing is, you need to make sure you can fill the cracks. You might pick up some sculpy or even ceramic glue so that all the cracks are filled in and there isn't any air leakage. The newfound weakness on the top end is most likely due to that.  As long as the vessel (the internal chamber) can be put back in place - you may be able to get it to work as it should.  I don't think tape is the best option.

Another option is to have someone repair it, though with shipping and all - it might be easier to send STL customer service a photo of your broken ocarina and ask for a discount on a new one. 

namikaze

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 07:25:33 PM »
Thank you so much, that was really helpful - I'll view gluing options, perhaps I'll go for a ceramic glue.  I really appreciate the help.