Author Topic: How to make tabs in Word (Including Macro's)  (Read 7006 times)

tussengas

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 25
  • Ain't Going down till the sun comes up!
How to make tabs in Word (Including Macro's)
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:29:38 PM »
Since the STL Finger Composer uses an quite annoying user interface, I prefer to write my tabs in word. First i write them in terms I'm familiar with (-is means sharp, b flat) and than use the replace function to get it right.
So i made a list for replacing them, and maybe you like it so I'll share it with you.

NOTE: when replacing you want to start with F and finish with a and do the sharps and flats first, elsewise you'll get problems with the lower notes being replaced twice.  8)

Original notes            Notes On            Notes On            Notes On            Notes On            Notes On            Notes On   
               6h FiCo            C12h FiCo            F12h FiCo            G12h FiCo            Dubble FiCo            Triple Fico   
   a      =            =      A      =            =            =      A      =      S   
   a#      =            =      B      =            =            =      B      =      R   
   b-      =            =      B      =            =            =      B      =      R   
   b      =            =      C      =            =            =      C      =      Q   
   c      =      A      =      D      =            =            =      D      =      P   
   c#      =      B      =      E      =            =            =      E      =      O   
   d-      =      B      =      E      =            =            =      E      =      O   
   d      =      C      =      F      =      A      =            =      F      =      N   
   d#      =      D      =      G      =      B      =            =      G      =      M   
   e-      =      D      =      G      =      B      =            =      G      =      M   
   e      =      E      =      H      =      C      =      A      =      H      =      L   
   f      =      F      =      I      =      D      =      B      =      I      =      K   
   f#      =      G      =      J      =      E      =      B      =      J      =      J   
   g-      =      G      =      J      =      E      =      C      =      J      =      J   
   g      =      H      =      K      =      F      =      D      =      K      =      I   
   g#      =      I      =      L      =      G      =      E      =      L      =      H   
   A-      =      I      =      L      =      G      =      E      =      L      =      H   
   A      =      J      =      M      =      H      =      F      =      M      =      G   
   A#      =      K      =      N      =      I      =      G      =      N      =      F   
   B-      =      K      =      N      =      I      =      G      =      N      =      F   
   B      =      L      =      O      =      J      =      H      =      O      =      E   
   C      =      M      =      P      =      K      =      I      =      P      =      D   
   C#      =      N      =      Q      =      L      =      J      =      Q      =      C   
   D-      =      N      =      Q      =      L      =      J      =      Q      =      C   
   D      =      O      =      R      =      M      =      K      =      R      =      B   
   D#      =      P      =      S      =      N      =      L      =      S      =      A   
   E-      =      P      =      S      =      N      =      L      =      S      =      A   
   E      =      Q      =      T      =      O      =      M      =      a      =      c   
   F      =            =      U      =      P      =      N      =      b      =      d   
   F#      =            =            =      Q      =      O      =      c      =      e   
   GG-      =            =            =      Q      =      O      =      c      =      e   
   GG      =            =            =      R      =      P      =      d      =      f   
   GG#      =            =            =      S      =      Q      =      e      =      g   
   AA-      =            =            =      S      =      Q      =      e      =      g   
   AA      =            =            =      T      =      R      =      f      =      a   
   AA#      =            =            =      U      =      S      =      g      =      b   
   BB-      =            =            =            =      S      =      g      =      b   
   BB      =            =            =            =      T      =      h      =      h   
   CC      =            =            =            =      U      =      i      =      i / 1   
   CC#      =            =            =            =            =            =      2   
   DD-      =            =            =            =            =            =      2   
   DD      =            =            =            =            =            =      3   
   DD#      =            =            =            =            =            =      4   
   EE-      =            =            =            =            =            =      4   
   EE      =            =            =            =            =            =      5   
   FF      =            =            =            =            =            =      6   
   FF#      =            =            =            =            =            =      7   
   GG-      =            =            =            =            =            =      7   
   GG      =            =            =            =            =            =      8   

[mod=Moderated by Tussengas (1st of May 2010)]Added sharps and flats to the warning and changed the list into a table. Had to put a '-' for flats to make replacement less problematic.[/mod]
[mod=Moderated by Tussengas (5th of May 2010)]Renewed the list to include the other ocarina's. First step to New makro's probably ;) Warning: The current Makro uses a capital G instead of g for the lowest g. Had to change this to fit the Triple in :)[/mod]
[mod=Moderated by Tussengas (6th of May 2010)]Some mistakes corrected in the C12h, F12h and G12h list :)[/mod]

tussengas

• Ocarinist
Re: How to make tabs in Word
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
I got to admit that it is a little nerdy... But I made a macro for Word to change every note into the right STL tab notation.
This makes it easier to read sheet music and copy them (using the notation like the "original notes" in my previous post). After copying you start this macro and he makes fine tabs of them in Ocarina Font (STL) and enlarges them to size 48 (minimum readable size on my high-resolution 32" television/monitor from a distance of 2 meter).

Although it takes a few minutes of preparation, it speeds up tabbing a lot compared to the finger composer.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

to your word document and click again on view macros (step 3 and 4)
Step 9: This time click on "run" and you should see the tabs coming to your screen in a few seconds
[/spoiler]

PS: If you experience any trouble with this macro, please contact me.
PPS: Yes, I'm still a user of Windows and don't care if there are easier ways with a Mac to do this  ::)
PPPS: Yes this Macro means you can expect more tabs soon from me :)
[mod]Macro updated 2nd of May at 12:18am GMT +1[/mod]

tussengas

• Ocarinist
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:13:44 PM »
My current plan is to make one macro with all options:
Notes to 6h/c12h/f12h/g12h/double/triple
6h to notes/c12h/f12h/g12h/double/triple
etc etc

but... the macro will eventually be too large to post on the forum xD
(Max is 18000 caracters and a "notes to 12h" takes 4621 caracters so... with 3 x 12h , a 6h (smaller) and the multichambered (larger) I won't fit it :( )
Will try to find another way to post it as soon as it is done  :-\

PS: Not that I am against the 18k caracters rule, but I will have to find a way to work around it :P

Autumn

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 17
  • We are the music makers
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:01:36 PM »
Very VERY nice. I love the organization and detail.
You see things and say, why?
 But I dream things that never were; and I say,

Why not?

tussengas

• Ocarinist
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:59:26 AM »
To make songs convertable to 6h ocarina tabs, you might wanna transpose your tabs (or to make it more comfortable to play).

You can copy paste this new macro under the notes to tabs macro (press edit instead of run and paste it under the last row) and after you close the visual basic window and look again to your macro's, you'll see 2 new macro's for -.5 and +.5 note. Probably you have to run the macro several times till it fits into the range you want.

Currently these macro's only works within the range of a 12h and will give an reversable error when you get out of range.

PS: If your tabs include a Title, the capitals of that title will also get edited... Doubt if Brahms will be happy about my first test: Kullaby (I. Arahms) ;D

Seishou

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 13
Re: How to make tabs in Word (Including Macro's)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »
You know, you can help cut down the expanding size of the program by putting those long lists into an array. It'll give you greater control over it all as well.

For a quick slap together here is an example of what I mean:

As a warning though, this was a quick put together. The array's sequence with how it's doing find & replace will likely do goofy things to what you try to compose with this example.

I just built the example to demonstrate that you can control the expanding size of the program and make it more manageable by finding ways to loop a list through a repeating pattern.

Seishou

• Ocarinist
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 09:08:54 PM »
Ok, to not leave something there that's completely unusable:

Code: [Select]
Sub ReplaceForTrips()

Dim myStoryRange As Range

BaseNotes = Array(" ", "GGG-", "GGG", "GG#", "GG-", "GG", "G#", "G-", "G", "FFF#", "FFF", "FF#", "FF", "F#", "F", "EEE-", "EEE", "EE-", "EE", "E-", "E", "DDD#", "DDD-", "DDD", "DD#", "DD-", "DD", "D#", "D-", "D", "CCC#", "CCC", "CC#", "CC", "C#", "C", "BBB-", "BBB", "BB-", "BB", "B-", "B", "AAA#", "AAA-", "AAA", "AA#", "AA-", "AA", "A#", "A")
FiCo_Trip = Array(" ", "7", "8", "g", "e", "f", "H", "J", "I", "7", "6", "e", "d", "J", "K", "4", "5", "A", "c", "M", "L", "4", "2", "3", "A", "C", "B", "M", "O", "N", "2", "i ", "C", "D", "O", "P", "b", "h", "F", "E", "R", "Q", "b", "g", "a", "F", "H", "G", "R", "S")

For Each myStoryRange In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
    With myStoryRange.Find
    .ClearFormatting
    .Replacement.ClearFormatting
    .Replacement.Font.Name = "Ocarina Font (STL)"
    .Replacement.Font.Size = "48"

For intX = LBound(BaseNotes) To UBound(BaseNotes)
        .Text = BaseNotes(intX)
        .Replacement.Text = FiCo_Trip(intX)
        .Wrap = wdFindContinue
        .MatchCase = True
        .Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    Next intX

End With
Next myStoryRange

End Sub

That should be a functional macro that hopefully doesn't mess up. It for Triple Ocarina only because I felt less likely to screw it up then the others. The note system is slightly different from what tussengas had.

Original notesNotes OnNotes OnNotes OnNotes OnNotes OnNotes On
6h FiCoC12h FiCoF12h FiCoG12h FiCoDubble FiCoTriple Fico
48GGG-7
49GGG8
33GG#SQeg
31GG-QOce
32GGRPdf
16G#ILGELH
14G-GJECJJ
15GHKFDKI
47FFF#7
46FFF6
30FF#QOce
29FFUPNbd
13F#GJEBJJ
12FFIDBIK
44EEE-4
45EEE5
27EE-PSNLSA
28EEQTOMac
10E-DGBGM
11EEHCAHL
43DDD#4
41DDD-2
42DDD3
26DD#PSNLSA
24DD-NQLJQC
25DDORMKRB
9D#DGBGM
7D-BEEO
8DCFAFN
40CCC#2
39CCCUii
23CC#NQLJQC
22CCMPKIPD
6C#BEEO
5CADDP
37BBB-Sgb
38BBBThh
20BB-KNIGNF
21BBLOJHOE
3B-BBR
4BCCQ
36AAA#USgb
34AAA-SQeg
35AAATRfa
19AA#KNIGNF
17AA-ILGELH
18AAJMHFMG
2A#BBR
1AAAS

It's sorted different then first post. Main difference is everything of Original Notes was placed into Upper Case made it easier for me to keep track of the parts.

Seishou

• Ocarinist
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 06:48:20 PM »
Heh, just noticed looking at the VBA code closer that it was using a special font. So that line probably want to removed or changed to if there is a font specific for Triple.

tussengas

• Ocarinist
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »
Hmm, Using arrays would have been better indeed xD
But back in 2010 i didn't knew how to use those so i just used a workaround ;)

Yes my macro's used the STL font we once extracted back then. We were also working on extracting the triple font but that project ended unfinished.

carboncopymusic

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 132
  • I love lamp.
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 02:55:21 PM »
I've looked at this topic a few times and I don't even know where to start. It all looks very complicated to me.

Seishou

• Ocarinist
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 07:42:25 PM »
Lol, essentially it all boils down to setting up a structure that was easy to use a "Find & Replace" to match those character codes which so happens to be same for the Font that was being started and went no were.

Since this though I've went other routes were I could use sites/programs that would produce the data in XML and strip down to whatever Tab/Scale/etc... I want.