Author Topic: Complete Beginner to the Ocarina  (Read 8643 times)

Room312

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 1
Complete Beginner to the Ocarina
« on: May 27, 2011, 08:44:53 AM »
Hi, I'm Adriana. Just recently I discovered what an ocarina was. While at the ACen anime convention, I believe a vendor from STL Ocarina was there, from a far I heard the sound play and I was curious to what it was. My friend and I ventured and followed the song 9ironically it was Saria's Song). My friend loves playing Legend of Zelda games, but he never really went into what anything was. So when I heard "Ocarina of Time", I could tell you that I still had no clue to what an ocarina was.

but, when I heard it being played I wanted to learn to play too.

I just received my own ocarina yesterday. I decided to get a 12 hole plastic tenor ocarina because I'm a complete beginner but I also want to learn things that aren't too limited, so the 12 hole seemed like a good choice.

I'm currently going over the notations in the instruction booklet and I'm really confused because I'm new to playing music myself. I only really listen to music, so when I read the things listed on the page, I'm completely lost.

When it comes to actually trying to "practice" a note, I don't know whether I sound good enough or if I'm even doing it correctly...
I seriously don't know how to read any of it.

So, I'm lost and I'm not sure what to really do now. I've always been a visual learner and not one for reading how to do something, I've been so poor at it.

Mind helping me? I really want to learn how to play.

Phobos

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 17
Re: Complete Beginner to the Ocarina
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:22:27 AM »
Get a method book or some other means pf learning actual sheet music notation. The small booklet that is included with the ocarinas teach a numerical notation, IMHO, I find to be less accurate.

Room312

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:29:26 AM »
I need a job, I seriously do. xD
I'm a broke little kid, honestly. However, i do hope I can practice the tabs of songs I know the tune of and see if I can match it while I wait for college classes to start where I'll be taking piano. I'm hoping piano will help me learn how to read the sheet music and such, as well as understand a majority of of what a half note or something is.

I've always been an "in the classroom" student where I watch my teachers figure out equations and then I memorize it by using the same method they do. If you just give me a book to figure out how to solve a problem, odds are I won't get anything. I'm in need of visual and physical interaction with anything I'm trying to learn.

carboncopymusic

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 133
  • I love lamp.
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:24:31 AM »
Ok, since you don't have money for a method book (and you are already know and are trying to learn sheet music), I have a very simple suggestion.

Play music you can sing.  I know it sounds a bit silly, but start with music you are extremely familiar with.  I was lucky enough to be a part of an ocarina class and the presenter talked about using that method to teach children.  If it works for kids, it should work for adults too.

Room312

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
Well I started with Happy Birthday and You Are My Sunshine because I know both songs very well, it gave me an idea of how things actually work. Yay!

I'm trying to find more vocal songs I know, but having trouble finding tabs for it while I practice reading sheet music.

Mr. Walden

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 4
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 11:55:22 PM »
Another thing you can do is search YouTube for someone playing the song you are working on, and observe what they are doing. Look for someone who seems to be playing well.

When searching put the title in quotation marks, for example search for "You Are My Sunshine". Also, try searching for it played on alto C ocarina. Alto C and tenor C are two different names for the same type of ocarina. Some players call it one and some players call it the other.

FVmike

• Waltzing Around!
  • Thanks Recieved: 10
  • AEA
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 09:41:20 PM »
Try writing your own music - nothing complex, something like this:

Write something simple to play, so that while you are writing, you are familiarizing yourself with where the notes lay on the page. Then, when you play it, you already are familiar with the piece, because you wrote it!
Experiment with higher or lower notes, longer or shorter notes. Gradually, as you write more, you will learn where the notes are. Then, start getting more complex, to mirror the rise in your technique. This is a fun way to introduce yourself to the wonderful world of music (okay, that was a bit cheesy!)

--
Mike
Where words fail, Music speaks

carboncopymusic

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 133
  • I love lamp.
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:28:44 AM »
That's some great advice Mike.  I had never thought about that as a means of learning to read sheet music.  Thanks.

Isiyaram

• Ocarinist
  • Thanks Recieved: 5
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 04:39:42 AM »
Yeah, it seems like a great idea ;)

~Isiyaram
Shadow and Light are two sides of the same coin...One cannot exist without the other.
~Princess Zelda (Twilight Princess)

Holu Callouse

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
    • http://www.mmolive.com/
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 01:16:23 AM »
Very useful info. Hope to see more posts soon!