Author Topic: Could use some advice or teaching or something.... slurring?  (Read 1711 times)

Bishiglomper

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
Could use some advice or teaching or something.... slurring?
« on: November 11, 2015, 03:32:49 AM »
Sorry, dunno exactly how to ask this, so bear with me...

I consider myself good with all the basics... minus actually knowing the sheet music, but anyway. I can usually read and follow along a tab well enough, (I haven't mastered the higher notes yet) I staccato and I grasp vibrato.

My issue with my playing is it's so flat and boring. I only know how to staccato, I want to learn to slur the proper notes so it makes the song interesting and...peppy. HOW DO YOU DO THIS ON 12 HOLE. I could do it on my 6 hole, but that was a simple ''slide outward off the hole'' thing.

Could someone somehow teach me how to do this technique? I think I understand WHAT you're supposed to do, but it's not working for me. When I try a slur, it just sounds like I forgot to staccato a note. XD It's not a smooth transition. It's not a sliiiiide.

Do your fingers SLIDE or just leave the note and if they slide, how do you do it at that angle... @-@; Ugh, I'm so confused.

Could someone make me a video or something? If someone could just show me a piece with an example of some simple slurs, I could try to copy and hopefully my brain will kick in and figure out how to apply it to everything else. ...That's pretty much how I learn anything. D8

....If you could use 'Home on the range' as an example I'd love you forever. 8D

RichNagel

• STL Ocarina Dabbler
  • Thanks Recieved: 3
  • Ocarina, Native American Flute, & Recorder Player
    • Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel's Original Music Compositions
Re: Could use some advice or teaching or something.... slurring?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 01:08:21 AM »
I've only been playing ocarina for a few short months now, so take this with a grain of salt <grin>.

The way that I bend notes is by rotating my finger off of a hole.

Sort of hard to describe, but as an example: I have my left-middle finger on it's usual hole. When I want to bend to the next note up, I simply rotate the tip of my finger in an upwards motion to achieve the bend.

In other words, using my knuckle as the pivot, I slowly remove my fingertip from the hole, which in turn slowly removes the pad of my finger from the hole.

That's the way that I achieve nice sounding bends. Like I said, maybe not the "real" way of doing it, but it sounds nice to me.

P.S. I also play Native American flute and soprano and tenor recorder, and I use that same technique as well for those instruments.

P.P.S. Here are a few music-only Facebook videos that I've previously uploaded. Note that they don't show me actually playing, as they are music-only. But, you can hear the bending effect in them :)

https://www.facebook.com/RFNagel/videos/vb.1164518241/10206441911544306

https://www.facebook.com/RFNagel/videos/vb.1164518241/10206391448402759

P.P.P.S. Another technique that you can use to emotionify/unboreify (are those real words LOL?) is to use "warbles" (an NAF term). I use them in both of the videos linked above, and they are basically a quick single "trill" to a note that fits the current note/chord.

RichNagel

• STL Ocarina Dabbler
  • Thanks Recieved: 3
  • Ocarina, Native American Flute, & Recorder Player
    • Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel's Original Music Compositions
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 02:21:06 AM »

Sorry, no video. Nevertheless, here is an MP3 (key of G-Major) highlighting some of the techniques that I mentioned previously. Sorry for the poor performance and audio quality... it was simply a sloppily played quick take, and my breath control really bites the big one when I'm sitting down and half asleep <grin>.

http://www.bhservices.us/Temp/Home_On_The_Range.mp3

Señora Ocarina

• STL Ocarina Dabbler
  • Thanks Recieved: 2
  • Triple Ocarina Fever
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 08:25:48 PM »
Sorry, dunno exactly how to ask this, so bear with me...

I consider myself good with all the basics... minus actually knowing the sheet music, but anyway. I can usually read and follow along a tab well enough, (I haven't mastered the higher notes yet) I staccato and I grasp vibrato.

My issue with my playing is it's so flat and boring. I only know how to staccato, I want to learn to slur the proper notes so it makes the song interesting and...peppy. HOW DO YOU DO THIS ON 12 HOLE. I could do it on my 6 hole, but that was a simple ''slide outward off the hole'' thing.

Could someone somehow teach me how to do this technique? I think I understand WHAT you're supposed to do, but it's not working for me. When I try a slur, it just sounds like I forgot to staccato a note. XD It's not a smooth transition. It's not a sliiiiide.

Do your fingers SLIDE or just leave the note and if they slide, how do you do it at that angle... @-@; Ugh, I'm so confused.

Could someone make me a video or something? If someone could just show me a piece with an example of some simple slurs, I could try to copy and hopefully my brain will kick in and figure out how to apply it to everything else. ...That's pretty much how I learn anything. D8

I've played flute for about six years and if I remember it has nothing to do with fingers, granted they cause the note changes, but more of the tongue. When playing staccato, you're playing with a "tu" (too) sound. if you want a softer separation use a "du" (do) sound or remove the tongue all together. In other words, stop using your tongue and blow, and let the fluid motion of your fingers do the "slurring"

TheZelda

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 93
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 08:06:13 AM »
Slurring and note bending are 2 different things. It sounds as though the effect you want to achieve is bending between notes-having no definite end/beginning. I usually achieve this effect by rolling my fingers off the holes and changing breath pressure. Slurring is using softer articulation(or no articulation at all).