Author Topic: General breathing technique.  (Read 15366 times)

Papu

• STL Ocarina Dabbler
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
Re: General breathing technique.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 03:12:21 AM »
I have a Question about this "Tu" Thing. When I blow into my Ocarina I blow very lightly and get Good Tones. I know I still have to Practice... but when I try the same with saying Tu, then the Sound is very airy. It sounds much better without Articulation.
Does that mean I do the Articulation wrong, or is it just not required on every Ocarina?

TheZelda

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 93
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 03:27:32 PM »
I have a Question about this "Tu" Thing. When I blow into my Ocarina I blow very lightly and get Good Tones. I know I still have to Practice... but when I try the same with saying Tu, then the Sound is very airy. It sounds much better without Articulation.
Does that mean I do the Articulation wrong, or is it just not required on every Ocarina?
Try a softer articulation, like "due". Also, you mentioned you blow lightly. Make sure you are playing in tune; don't developed the bad habit of playing flat.

Papu

• STL Ocarina Dabbler
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 05:23:46 AM »
Thank you for the Tipp TheZelda, I will try it out after work.

SuperReiChan

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Anybody want a peanut?
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 11:20:09 AM »
I've never played a wind instrument before so this whole concept of controlling breath is completely new to me. Reading this thread has really helped so thanks. :D

Also, a tip to others who may be completely new at this: learn to breath from your diaphragm. This may seem like a no-brainer to those who have played wind instruments before, but I had never given any thought to learning this technique before now. I've noticed since I started breathing from my diaphragm instead of my chest that my notes are way less airy, and I can hold them for way longer with less effort.  :)