Author Topic: General breathing technique.  (Read 15366 times)

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Thanks Recieved: 16
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
General breathing technique.
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »
Here are a few general breathing techniques that ive leaned over the years.

Some ocarina's require you to blow hard on higher notes while some ocarinas require the same amount of breath pressure on the low notes as the do on the high notes.This does not mean that one ocarina is better than the other this means that they are just different.Usually an ocarina that requires you to blow harder on the higher notes will have a more vibrant and active tone.Usually an ocarina that requires you to use the same amount of breath pressure on the low notes and high notes will have a softer and more quiet tone.

When you play your ocarina try like you are saying the word tu or du into the ocarina(Blowing not talking of course :P)

Now the acute bend some ocarinas require you to use this technique when playing higher notes to achive a more reasonant sound.The acute bend is intended to let the air you blow through the mouthpiece and out of the sound hole flow on your chest in order to produce clearer notes.

I wish I could write more but this is all the time I have for today.Later I will come back and post more techniques. -Desmond

Dennis

• Administrator
  • Thanks Recieved: 15
Re: General breathing technique.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 09:21:45 AM »
Desmond,

Very nice post. You've listed some of the most important things to know for playing the ocarina.

I, personally, have a terrible time remembering to say "tu" when I play the ocarina. (I usually say "hu" instead.) I am never able to achieve good articulations.

Oh, and at the same time, I try to do vibrato by varying my breath.

And the result:

Laura would rush over and take the ocarina right out of my hands, and then yell "STOP PLAYING!"   :o

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
  • Thanks Recieved: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 12:29:29 PM »
No, I just tell you to stop doing vibrato because it doesn't really sound like vibrato.  It's more like an uncontrollable shaking. LOL

Your articulation and tone have improved a lot though...
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

zombiefewd1

• STL's #1 FAN
  • Thanks Recieved: 16
  • Con-busker
    • My Youtube.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:36:09 PM »
Your articulation and tone have improved a lot though...
Who's has?

ArcoHarmony

• Hero Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »
Sorry, I was talking to Dennis with that comment.  I'm constantly making fun of his ocarina playing.  But given that he's ten times better on violin than I'll ever be, I don't feel bad making fun of him.  It's all in good fun.
"It's about the music."
                          -Dad

8bitlink

• STL Ocarina Addict
  • Thanks Recieved: 85
  • Okarina wa daisuki.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:13:25 PM »
This is, IMO, the most important thing for anyone playing an ocarina, or any wind instrument to know. Even if you can only play one note, it will sound loads better if you can play it properly.
Go ahead and play your music. You never know, you just might make someones day.
And now for something completely off base, Kirby Dance!
<(-_-<) (^-_-^) (v-_-v) (>-_-)>

IlSekko

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 04:56:41 PM »
hey there! Newbie here, so be kind..one thing i'm finding useful about articulations is to vary the attack of your tongue to reach a particular effect, instead of sticking with the same way over..there are several ways of rolling your tongue, and your tone will change drastically depending on how you move it. Try changing the 'spelling' to match the dynamics of what you're playing, make experiments..i get lots of fun that way! Cheers everybody

HoneyBee

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
  • Sorry I burned down your village. Here's some gold
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
Is it wrong to not always "tu"?
So far I just tu when I'm learning the song, or with the higher notes. Then I only tu depending on if the song sounds better with staccato. Is this wrong?
Well done. Here are the test results: You are a horrible person. I'm serious, that's what it says: "A horrible person." We weren't even testing for that.

HoneyBee

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Sorry I burned down your village. Here's some gold
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:19:37 PM »
I do notice that after not "tu"ing for some time, my notes start sliding.
Well done. Here are the test results: You are a horrible person. I'm serious, that's what it says: "A horrible person." We weren't even testing for that.

TheZelda

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 93
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 03:11:44 PM »
Is it wrong to not always "tu"?
No. Some songs have a softer mood to them; the notes usually start with a 'da', 'tha', or even no tongue movement. Other songs have a bouncy or light mood; these will start with 'ta' or 'tu.' It all depends on the style or mood of the song and the maturity of the player.

Cerebus

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 3
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »
I haven't had to exercise my breath as much as some people. I switched to the ocarina after playing the trombone. (I know, huge change) so I have been able to easily control my breathing. I think if someone switched over from another instrument they may already have this skill.
Leeeerrroy Jenkins!

Vorylon

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 06:07:40 PM »
Wow, I just tried the "tu" sound instead a "hu" sound, it's incredible how much it changes things! Thanks guys!

Infila

• STL Ocarina Dabbler
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 08:46:40 AM »
When I play my ocarina I try to say "two", but some times I forgot it :P because I'm thinking about the quantity of air I should blow.

carboncopymusic

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 133
  • I love lamp.
    • Youtube
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 11:37:12 AM »
Create a steady stream and check your notes against a tuner.  That is the only way you're going to figure out exactly how much air to use.  Airflow is adjusted to produce the correct pitch.  Try to train your ear and you can naturally adjust the stream to match what you "hear" in your mind. 

Some people like a reference pitch.  I prefer to use a tuner and to play one pitch in tune and work relative to that pitch and then doublecheck myself after a while.  I am getting better from doing that. 

The problem is that there is a pretty big difference between getting a good note and playing the ocarina expressively.  What separates the good players isn't just intonation, it is abusing intonation in a way that is pleasing to the ear.

Boss1138

• Getting Better!
  • Thanks Recieved: 5
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 01:10:57 PM »
Wait, so you're not supposed to just blow?  :o
Look up Smooth McGroove on YouTube.