Author Topic: I haven't played a wind instrument in 20 years. I have a couple questions.  (Read 1006 times)

N1warhead

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
Hey guys, I used to play a Recorder when I was like 6, haven't really played any instrument until recently (Piano)
And I just purchased the 12 hold Dwarf ocarina and got it in the mail today.

It came with a Lord of the Rings song booklet.

Well my question is, I'm looking at the song booklet and I notice it may show the same note 3 times in a row.
Do I just hold down the note or is there some breathing technique to sound all three of them?

And being 20 years sense I played a wind instrument, I'm confused when I look at the song booklet when I need to take a breath in
like some lines with show 2 notes, some 5, some 4.
Do I play the set of notes on each line then take a breath in and keep going?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I just fell in love with the way the Ocarina sounded and want to learn it.

TheZelda

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 93
Re: I haven't played a wind instrument in 20 years. I have a couple questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »
I picked out 2 main questions from your post: When to tongue notes versus when to hold them (when "tied")? and When to breathe?

Usually in numbered notation, a tied note is distinguished using a hyphen (-), for example:
Quote from: Zelda's Lullaby
3 - 5 2 -
The 3 and 2 would be held out for 2 beats, without tonguing.

In traditional notation, an apostrophe (') usually distinguishes when the composer/arranger intended a breath to be taken. These markings are not present in numbered notation, so it is up to the performer to decide when a breath would be most appropriate. Try to take breaths where they make sense, usually at the end of phrases, or groupings of notes that go together.
Quote from: Zelda's Lullaby
3 - 5 2 - 1 2 3- 5 2 - ' 3- 5 ^2 - ^1 - 5 - 4 3 2 -