Author Topic: Another "high note" thread [12 hole Elf]  (Read 1611 times)

Ctoptrophobe

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
Another "high note" thread [12 hole Elf]
« on: July 10, 2014, 05:05:55 PM »
Hello,

I purchased the 12 note Elf Ocarina and I'm struggling a lot with hitting the higher notes. First off, my instrumental background is the clarinet (3 years) and some baritone sax (few months but the damn thing was taller than me while I was sitting down xD ). Secondly, I did try doing some research on youtube, other threads, and this one before I posted this new thread.

My issue:
All of my notes sound clear and crisp all the way until B, I can even pick up and play A without having to scale to it. I've tried adjusting my air pressure, tilting the ocarina down (all angles towards my chest), side to side (pinky side of the ocarina aimed towards and away from the ground), tightening my mouth, and even trying to place my mouth in different positions on the mouth piece... Nothing has worked! Again, I can just pick up the ocarina and 2 of 3 times I can hit the A note without issue, as soon as I hit B or higher it's like my ocarina is trying to blow out candles...

Any other advice that anyone can think of? I haven't given up and will continue to try, but after over a week of trying everyday... it's getting to be very discouraging!

-Ctop

Papu

• STL Ocarina Dabbler
Re: Another "high note" thread [12 hole Elf]
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 02:16:32 AM »
Hey Ctop,

I have the same Problem with this. Just yesterday I received my Elf Ocarina. I think it is all about the breathing Techniques, the only Advice I can give you is to practice everyday. Play the scale up and down, when you finally get the high Notes your Brain will remember, and at will be easyer and easyer every Day! Also I recognize that you have to get louder (more air) when the Notes getting higher. Maybe you dont used enough Air on the high Notes.

tonglangdo

• STL Ocarina Noob
Re: Another "high note" thread [12 hole Elf]
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 02:27:10 AM »
It would be nice if you told me that information out.