Author Topic: Changing form Flute to Ocarina?  (Read 3335 times)

Noël

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 1
Changing form Flute to Ocarina?
« on: December 03, 2011, 08:30:40 AM »
I have played Flute in my high school's marching band and orchestra band for five years now, as well as playing the Penny-whistle for about a year on my own... And i still practice my elementary recorder from time to time. I can play fairly well on all of these. (I hold 3rd chair in Orchestra out of eight flutes)

How hard/easy will it be to change from those instruments to the Ocarina?
Will most/all tounging, slurring, vibrato, breathing, keying techniques transfer, or wil there be many changes?

I'm getting the Zelda Tenor 12-hole ( http://www.stlocarina.com/ztenor3.html ) for my birthday, the party (and gifting) happens in exactly seven days. I want to try my ocarina out already xD

carboncopymusic

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 133
  • I love lamp.
    • Youtube
Re: Changing form Flute to Ocarina?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:05:42 AM »
From what I understand, it isn't difficult.  People that played the flute seem naturally drawn to the ocarina.  i think the ocarina has a superior tone.  Specifically the attack of the notes is cleaner and not nearly as harsh.  Anyhow, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Both Cris and Heather played flute and both of them are great players. 

Noël

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 01:55:24 PM »
I got to play a few notes on it before mom wrapped it this moring.. The fingering seems mostly the same, and does nto require NEAR as much breath as my flute does! :D
With my flute, it feels like almost every note is staccato and harsh... the Ocarina was much more calm and gentle.. Itll take me a bit to get used to using such little air XD

And really? -was not aware of that- Das ist cool! :D

GamerMusicianChick

• STL Ocarina Addict
  • Thanks Recieved: 120
  • 'I aim to misbehave' ~ Malcom Reynolds
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »
 I play flute as well and I picked up the Ocarina and just went to town, I loved how easy it was to just start playing. Really, the only problem you'll have is the same one you have with every new instrument. . . FINGERINGS! Yay! =P
There is no emotion; there is peace
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge
There is no passion; there is serenity
There is no chaos; there is harmony
There is no death; there is the Force

BreathofLife

• Getting Better!
  • Spiritual transcendence through the musical medium
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 02:07:28 AM »
Figured I should chime in as well.

I've played the penny/tin whistle and several types of flutes for many years, and the ocarina was very simple to pick up. I do love the gentleness of it compared to concert flute or even tin whistle. Very little breath required.

That's not really surprising to hear actually, about Cris and Heather both being Flutists :)

And you're right, the only real challenge at this point is fingerings! :D
Our songs will live on, and will be sung by our children, and by our children's children. This is how we will be remembered. This is who we were.