Author Topic: Which 6 hole ocarina from STL would you reccomend for my wife?  (Read 465 times)

BigC

• Ocarina Performer
  • Thanks Recieved: 7
  • STL Ocarina #1 MEGAFAN!
    • The STL Ocarina SuperFan Group - An Unofficial STL Fan Group
My wife wants to start playing an ocarina and she wants a 6 hole but i don't know what to buy her.
STL Ocarinas I own:
12 Hole Plastic 1.0 Ocarina
12 Hole Plastic 2.0 Ocarina
12 Hole Ceramic Ocarina
And 6 Hole Ceramic Ocarina!

Pickle

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 192
Re: Which 6 hole ocarina from STL would you reccomend for my wife?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:29:40 PM »
It looks like STL doesn't have as many pendant ocarinas as before. Most of the ones it sells now have some kind of theme. I can't really decide on a personal favorite, so I will just tell you the pros and cons of some pendants I own.

The necklace ocarinas are fun, pretty, and convenient to carry. Whether or not she will enjoy one depends on how she feels about sopranos.

Some other pendants I have are the LoZ shield and the soprano rupee.
The shield is fairly easy to play except for if you try to use the fipple bend, because the mouth piece is at an angle.
The rupee is easier for the fipple bend, but the B note is less accurate. The B fingering on my rupee plays just shy of hitting C, so I have to overblow on the fingering for A flat to get B.

The 4 hole dragon egg has a soothing sound and its light breath pressure is easily manageable. However it has a limited range, and its hard to get a good seal over the large finger holes.

OcarinaHouseElf

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 07:58:43 PM »
I have this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QK4AA8M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is my first one. I have played it about 5 days and i loved it until the 3rd day when it started squawking, i cleaned it with a piece of paper? (the only way i could find to clean it online). It sounds "meh" now... i am currently also looking for a 6 holed one, preferably one that cleans easily. I'm thinking maybe plastic? I'm still researching myself. I'll keep you posted.

The Ocococo Man

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 3
  • “You’ve Met with a Terrible Fate, Haven’t You?”
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 10:38:11 AM »
Not to advertise other buyers (because I do think STL has the best ocarinas around for the most part), but the Legend of Zelda 6 Hole Kokiri Edition is the best I have. And it's the only perfect Ocarina of Time replica I've seen. It's also technically a 7 hole, because it has a sub hole of some sort.
Johnny Stell

BigC

• Ocarina Performer
  • Thanks Recieved: 7
  • STL Ocarina #1 MEGAFAN!
    • The STL Ocarina SuperFan Group - An Unofficial STL Fan Group
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 02:44:08 PM »
Thanks everyone!
STL Ocarinas I own:
12 Hole Plastic 1.0 Ocarina
12 Hole Plastic 2.0 Ocarina
12 Hole Ceramic Ocarina
And 6 Hole Ceramic Ocarina!