Author Topic: New Type of Tabs - Can someone check this out?  (Read 3040 times)

lady.anya

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 6
New Type of Tabs - Can someone check this out?
« on: January 11, 2015, 12:22:11 AM »
Hey guys and girls  :)
I am testing a new type of tabs for a 12-hole ocarina, and need you to try them out!
Can you play the song using the tabs and let me know if they are comfortable for you to play?

Pickle

• STL Ocarina Guru
  • Thanks Recieved: 192
Re: New Type of Tabs - Can someone check this out?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 05:05:53 PM »
I like how you colour-coded the left and right hand. However I found the shape of the tabs themselves a little odd. Maybe you should include the shape of the ocarina with the fingerings, with just the fingerings alone the tabs kind of look like a bunch of bubbles.

I just took a peek into your tumblr account and noticed that you have both a beginner and intermediate version. It's a good idea how you have the note duration gauge on the beginner version, but replace that with actual notes in the intermediate version. People can compare the two, and it will make it easier for them to understand note duration in sheet music.

AdmiralAmel

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »
I quite like how this shows the tabs, lyrics, and notes! While playing through this to get a feel for it myself I had to double check a few of the notes because the grey and blue is a little dark in my opinion. Perhaps using some brighter colors would help with visibility? Other than that I quite like them and wouldn't mind using these tabs at all myself! Very nicely done!

zelda422

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 06:47:20 PM »
i love this!!!!! thank you so much. i do something like that wit my music. i have a fingering chart and i put my music sheet under it. i am trying to relearn my notes and music theory. its been well over 20 years since i read music. 

Ocanico

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:46:13 AM »
I really like the idea!! However, maybe you should change like, the "shape" of the ocarina holes, because it's somewhat odd and uncomfortable to look at. What I mean is, it takes longer to actually figure out how the fingering is supposed to be on each note, while the typical tabs we are accostumed to on this forum are more "automatic to mentally process". But maybe that's just me, I could be wrong.
"It's not a question of can or can't. There are things in life you just do."

Aeirol

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 12:16:10 PM »
I love it. i personally don't need the shape of the ocarina. I love the fact they are color coded. This is a great idea especially for beginners, it shows the fingerings in color so that is seems less confusing. Plus, I learned sheet music, but the ocarina i learned tabs first and this is just amazing. I can see where the music is on the sheet and the tabs and being able to incorporate the two.

Nmgal

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:15:14 PM »
they feel awesome. I personally dont feel the need for an ocarina shape around the fingerings, even though I'm a beginner

kiesowingme4

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Thanks Recieved: 4
  • me and jenny are like cheese and carrots
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 01:18:33 PM »
I like it. it shows the notes on a scale, the tabs, and the words.
I'm not as thunk as you drink I am.

Lit_Fanatic

• STL Ocarina Noob
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »
I think it looks awesome! Very easy to read!

SuperReiChan

• STL Ocarina Noob
  • Anybody want a peanut?
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 01:26:24 PM »
Oh, this is great! I love how the holes are color-coded and how you managed to fit sheet music, tabs, lyrics, and notes all on one sheet without cluttering it up. It was really easy to read, and I think something like this would be great for someone who's learning how to read music. (Like me, ha ha!)
I did have a little trouble reading the fingering tabs initially, but I think that once you get used to it, it looks nice.
This is awesome! :D

GamerMusicianChick

• Thanks Recieved: 118
  • 'I aim to misbehave' ~ Malcom Reynolds
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 09:46:46 PM »
THREAD NECROMANCY!!!!

I'm moving this thread to the main tab page so it gets more traction and hits. Also this is just more appropriate there since it currently doesn't have any tabs *sad face*.

I'll reach out to the original poster and have them send me the links to the images and will update this thread with them if they respond=)
There is no emotion; there is peace
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge
There is no passion; there is serenity
There is no chaos; there is harmony
There is no death; there is the Force